Monday, February 24, 2014

Remember how far you've come with "before" shots

Whenever I finish up a color consultation for a client who is making dramatic color changes to his or her house, I always try to snap some "before" shots in order to chronicle to progress. When I forget to take pictures, I kick myself for not taking them. Once someone has repainted in the new colors, its often very difficult to picture the space anything other than the new colors. They just "fit" better.

I hope to share with you a few recent projects I've completed and show you some great before/after shots.

Here's one I just photographed today.

Here is a client's home in a lovely wooded area. Her design objectives were to give the house an updated look that was cheerful and welcoming. There was a lot going on, in terms of architectural details, that was making the house feel chopped-up and hodge-podge.  With so many different boxy shapes competing with one another, we agreed to simplify.

We also discussed the dingy gray brick terraced garden walls. We matched the color of the fallen leaves that carpet her garden, knowing that if the walls could just recede into the background, they'd look a whole lot better.

Now my client's home is a happy blue, with crisp grey trim and a whimsical peek of red under the eaves. The deep color settles the house down within the landscape. Support beams and much of the trim work is painted out to give the house a more cohesive look.
The garden wall just dissolves into the background, ready for the lush plants the homeowners have planned for their next project.

The homeowners wrote to tell me that they love their "new" house.


1 comment:

Kelly Berg said...

Looks amazing! So much cheerier and inviting. Great color work.