Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Show off your house and plants

I am thinking all the time about blog posts I would like to write, but never seem to have the chance these days to get them typed up. I really wanted to share this quick, but dramatic one.

My clients live in a lovely house perched high on a hill, looking down on the road below. Their design goals were two-fold:
1.) Draw attention to the house
2.) Compliment the plantings

The house started out like this:

The client had selected white because she thought it would stand out the most. Alas, it had become dingy and tired instead. The architectural features were all lost in the sea of white and almond trim. The bright red doors gave me a hint as to the direction she might be inclined to go. Often, I find people will put little splashes of a color they love, perhaps intimidated to take it any further.
The second thing I noticed was how the beautiful slate staircase didn't relate to anything on the house. It definitely seemed out of place. 

Lastly, the lush plantings around the property were not enhanced in the slightest by the competing white concrete retaining wall and staircase.

So, I went out on a limb, and suggested a bold change: red, black, white, and charcoal gray.
The client thought that was a splendid idea.
Here's the mock-up I created for them in Photoshop, to make sure we were all on the same page. 

And here is the final, show-stopper paint job. They are replacing some railings, and are having a new silver front door installed soon, so it's not completely finished, but getting close.

It's so important for all the elements of your house to relate to one another. I like to think about it as a conversation- is everyone included? Now that the slate is reflected in the gray columns, retaining walls and bottom level of the house, it starts to make more sense.

Is there a bold color you would love to paint in your house that you've held off using? Give it a shot- you never know how splendid it just might turn out!




1 comment:

Kelly Berg said...

I love this! Great job. Such a fabulous bold red. Please please share the before and after on facebook! (Your page, of course, and the Hello page.) ;)